Friday 23 April 2010

Bay Watch 23/04 - Spring Episode

15th April along the waggonway

What a difference a week makes. On the 15th of April I took a local walk round the patch and other than Chiffchaff and a single Sand Martin there were no summer visitors.

Today was a different story. Passing Monkseaton metro station I had Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Lesser Whitethroat. Along the waggonway there were more warblers, mainly Willow warblers and Chiffchaffs.

At St Mary's I had my first Sedge Warbler. Swallows and Sand Martins are now around in numbers and Sandwich Terns are crying out.



All in all I feel it is now time to say it - Spring has sprung. Roll on the summer.

Today along the waggonway (warbler boulevard)


Chiffchaff


Willow Warbler (too quick for me)


Sandwich Tern


Peacock Butterfly (not a Painted Lady as shown on some North Tyneside Council signs)


Starlings on the beach


Purple Sandpiper


Reed Bunting


Sand Martins checking out the cliffs on Whitley Beach

Dessicated Frog


Dessicated Lumpsucker


Don't ask. This type of thing happens when the sun comes out in Whitley.

No comments:

Post a Comment