Sunday 3 January 2010

Projects for 2010/Gull Quiz

Getting to grips with gull identification
Gull identification is a complicated thing and I'm pretty rusty so I've been down to North Shields fish quay and started taking pics of gulls to then ID at my leisure. Evenings are now spent zooming in and checking every feather for pattern, colour and wear & tear. It is a steep learning curve but I'm getting there thanks to a great website: http://www.gull-research.org/

Can you ID these fellows:

1.











2.











3.
 







4.
 







5.









6.









Create a Sonagram
It has been said that 'You truly have to see birdsong to believe all that birds do'. Well, I'll let you know. I've ordered a microphone and a few other gadgets and hope to be making some recordings very soon. If you see some nut waving a 'dead cat' around, it's only me.

Get back ringing
I rung birds for a couple of years about 8 years ago, but in the end other priories got in the way. Now, with more time on my hands I thinks it's time to get back involved. Nothing beats the fun of a Great Spotted Woodpecker hammering at your fingers!

All the best for 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment